Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: activation fraud

Jump to solution

Well, just curious.  I'll be interested to do this tomorrow, as Walmart says the 2 Ultras will be here tomorrow, and I'll hook them up sometime tomorrow as well.  1 will be 20 feet from my computer desk, in the bedroom, so I can see that screen real-time.  I will probably do the other on the phone while standing next to the other tv.

(3) Roku Ultras 4670X, Samsung Q8 tv, Samsung NU7100 tv
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Scammed to activate ROKU account

Jump to solution

@slowens 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you experienced.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

It would be interesting if someone gets one of these hacked Roku's and sees if one of the admins here could make a deal to swap it. They could do some forensics on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Activation fee?

Jump to solution

@WaltSm53 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you experienced.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I'd be more than happy to take a closer look regarding this issue. Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks. I will reach out tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

This are my opinionated options, I'm not starting any rumors suggesting anything in this post is true, or could be true.

/Disclaimer off/  Smiley Happy

Well, I think there are many ways these situations could be hacked.  It could be the Wifi, it could be malware on the person's computer or phone, I just have a hard time believing that these devices are actually altered.  Now, if in some way they are, I would think there would be big trouble about that.  

It could be more something in the roku software, as yet another possibility.

If I had a unit that was hacked into, somehow, I'd be glad to turn it over to roku for a look.  I'm sure I would get a replacement, anyway.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

How do I send you a PM to follow up on my Roku activation issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ok, set up my first Roku, ordered from Walmart, model 4670K.  

I set this one up on a Samsung NU7100.   

I followed directions EXACTLY in the quick start guide.  Opened up the box, checked contents as I usually do, set the Roku under the TV, plugged in a HDMI cable into HDMI 3, the only one available on the TV, plugged other end into the Roku, plugged the wall wart into the wall, then plugged in the power cable to the Roku, Turned on the TV, now, my TV had selected the HDMI3 automatically, as that's how newer HDMI and TVs work.  So, put batteries into the remote,  it auto-started pairing, then successful, then followed the onscreen steps for music from tv, and such, testing the remote.  The volume and power can be controlled on this TV.

Followed the next setup steps, then it came to activation.  I was then sitting at my computer desk, Home built gaming rig, running Windows 10, updated.

It (TV) told me to go to roku(dot)com/LINK which is what I exactly typed into my browser.  Notice, I did NOT use HTTP or WWW or anything else. 

Did NOT type or click any 'suggested' sites when typing that, as many browsers do, gives you a list to second-guess you as you type.  Anyway, typed it all out, hit enter, AFTER making sure my cursor was blinking at the end of my typing! and it took me directly to the activation page, I entered my activation code, then asked me to log in.  I logged in.

That's it.  No hijacking, nothing.  I even sat through ALL the updates, and adding of channels, and the setup video that pops up at the start.  

So I had zero issues setting up this Roku, I do not expect any for the other as well.  

I DO see the possibility of maybe hitting the 'suggested' links that pop up while you are typing, or maybe somehow mis-typing the /LINK  by hitting \LINK instead, or adding www, or http, etc.. but, I was almost hoping it would try and take me for a ride, it did not.

Hope anything I have suggested as hints helps anyone in the future, I did this specifically to see if I would be directed to some of these scam sites, but it worked as intended.  

Edited.. Sorry, put wrong link up there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@WaltSm53 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For steps on how to send a private message, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

I  also had some one trying to charge $100 activation fee told me was a one time fee Roku has started I got a little pissed told the guy he was scamming me he got very irate telling me I didn't know any thing about anything so I just hung up after 25 minutes of getting no where  I called ruko and the tech man walked me through step by step resetting up my Roku tv 

0 Kudos