Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

I love all these B/S replies about following the link and a popup comes up. Just admit it, you went on Google and searched Roku Activation. I have setup many Roku devices and have never had a popup come up during activation as some of you said it popped up on the TV itself. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Got to Roku website, start a new(different) account, and then get a new activation code.

I did that after my scam call and all worked fine!!!

Walker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

No BS...

Type in the link(on my phone) and the error message and phone number appeared there(not on my TV)!!!

Pretty sure many have done as you suggested, but I did not, and was exposed to the scam(but knew better)!!!

Walker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

This may be more of a Google issue than a Roku issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

A one time fee of 89 dollars?

Jump to solution

Is there a one time fee of 89 dollars to hook up more than 2 roku devices for an account?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: A one time fee of 89 dollars?

Jump to solution

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  IT'S A SCAM!!!

People, stop doing a web search for "my.roku.com/link".  It's https://my.roku.com/link  <- click on this!  If you don't know how to enter a URL into your browser, learn!  If you don't know the difference between when your browser is showing you search suggestions and actual web sites, learn!

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

@Drum2303 

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have followed up regarding your original post.

@Driller @Newportj66 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To many activations

Jump to solution

I bought a roku sound bar and during activation and entered my code it gave me and said it was invalid and tried another same issue it also had a number that I called and someone there explained I had used up too many activation codes which I had bought many Roku’s in the past so it sounded legit.  They said I would have to pay at least 69.95 in order to unlock it and get 3 more years and 10 activation codes.  So I did and it was unlocked but I got suspicious when my receipt didn’t com from roku and came fro KSP not a mention of roku at all.  Is this fraud?  I filed a dispute with my bank on it as soon as I found out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: To many activations

Jump to solution

@Nextel09 wrote:

I bought a roku sound bar and during activation and entered my code it gave me and said it was invalid and tried another same issue it also had a number that I called and someone there explained I had used up too many activation codes which I had bought many Roku’s in the past so it sounded legit.  They said I would have to pay at least 69.95 in order to unlock it and get 3 more years and 10 activation codes.  So I did and it was unlocked but I got suspicious when my receipt didn’t com from roku and came fro KSP not a mention of roku at all.  Is this fraud?  I filed a dispute with my bank on it as soon as I found out

Yes, that was not Roku support. Roku never charges for support or activation, and there's no such thing as a subscription for a time period or code quantities. Unfortunately you ended up on a scam web site when you tried to activate your sound bar. These people are scum, and all they want is your money. 

The ONLY web address you should use to set up a new Roku device is https://my.roku.com/link. If you haven't already created a Roku account, you will have to do so. But that too is free, so if anyone tries to get you to pay something, hang up fast!

If you gave the scammer any personal information, such as your Roku account password, change it immediately. If they've already changed your password (I've heard of the scammers doing that), send a private message to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can help you out. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: To many activations

Jump to solution

@Nextel09 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos