Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

Ok thank you so much for the help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Pretty certain when I went to activate Roku , my TV screen showed website, place to enter activation code and 800 number for help if the code didn't work. I called that number and it was like talking to Roku. This must be an ex employee as he set me up and charged me $99.Two days later I purchased another Roku for my other unsmart TV, C Same thing happened but this time the "rep" said I didn't have the more advanced account and they didn't have one for $99 and I was scammed , but the correct charge was $147 , he would set me up. Again this seems like an ex employee as he appeared to know the ins and outs of Roku. This time I would have to go onlinre through them for a secure non scam!

A few days later I called Roku to check another $9.99 charge( legit)r and found I had been scammed again! There is no activation charge. I am contesting charge with Amex and am uncertain I will be given credit..

Roku should be accountable as their website is compromised in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

As I said in my first post I was charged $99.99  / why are the activation codes not working? I don't care what you call it Roku charge me $99.99 it was not a Internet scam I called the service support 800 number that was displayed on the  TCL TV. Roku support responded to my message in this form and asked me to private message them and they would investigate. This was back late November I have heard nothing back from them . Even after sending them all of their information they asked for account numbers serial serial numbers and I even included my phone number I have sent them 3 private messages with no response terrible service and no one can answer what is the $99 charge was.  I was told at the time that it was a one Time charge because I have 4 Roku devices and they need to outsource my account to a third-party to host on their server.  What a way to treat a loyal customer who has bought there products four times .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me back in November 2019 I've sent for private messages to the service support with no response it's not a Internet scam . I was told since I have four Roku devices that they had to outsource my account to a third-party server and the charge was to the third-party for setting it up on their server. But no one I've asked sense can verify that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@Drum2303 wrote:

As I said in my first post I was charged $99.99  / why are the activation codes not working? I don't care what you call it Roku charge me $99.99 it was not a Internet scam I called the service support 800 number that was displayed on the  TCL TV. Roku support responded to my message in this form and asked me to private message them and they would investigate. This was back late November I have heard nothing back from them . Even after sending them all of their information they asked for account numbers serial serial numbers and I even included my phone number I have sent them 3 private messages with no response terrible service and no one can answer what is the $99 charge was.  I was told at the time that it was a one Time charge because I have 4 Roku devices and they need to outsource my account to a third-party to host on their server.  What a way to treat a loyal customer who has bought there products four times .

Roku doesn't have any 800 phone numbers at all, and if the number was displayed on your screen then the connection from the TV to the Roku authentication servers was hacked. This can happen if your ISP's DNS servers are compromised when a device requests the IP address for the Roku server. It's not the TV that was hacked, it was your Internet connection, most likely far outside your home network. 

Roku did not do any of what you list. I'm sorry to say, but you were scammed by an outside entity. I hope you can contest the charge on whatever card you used to pay them, and if you haven't I suggest either changing the password on your Roku account or create a completely new one. Unfortunately, these scammers have really gotten tricky with their methods, and there's little Roku can do against them unless someone who has been scammed would be willing to work with Roku to identify and prosecute them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The only scam here is the one Roku is trying to pull. This charge came directly from Roku. I've sent 3 private messages in this form as instructed and no one has responded to me  with a answer .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Drum2303 wrote:

The only scam here is the one Roku is trying to pull. This charge came directly from Roku. I've sent 3 private messages in this form as instructed and no one has responded to me  with a answer .

And I'm saying that whoever you paid, regardless of what the charge says, it wasn't the Roku company that supplied the OS to your TV's manufacturer and maintains this forum, but a scammer. If you've sent a PM to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD , I have no doubt they will get back to you. If you PM'd anyone else, it went to the wrong person. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just curious how you paid for the scam?  Credit or debit card? 

Check your statement and see who exactly charged your card...

I want to think Roku is not involved, but can't be sure.  I followed a link online and got a number, name(fake), and the same spiel you did.

Couple days later I went back to the same website(still in my history), entered a fake activation code, got the same message but with a different telephone number!!!!

I did try calling the same number I called originally(844-540-7444), it went to Support(but not Roku support), so I hung up.

Just tried the number again, same Support, but this time I stayed on.  Same guy(sounded Indian or Pakistani), this time said his name was James(last time Glean Watson-his spelling).

Started same way, but this time he asked if I had prior contact with Roku?  When I told him yes, he seemed to balk. 

He then started on his script, so I cut him off and asked if was activation fee.  He then started on his other script and the "mandatory"....

Cut him off again and told him "no thanks to the scam" and hung up!!!

Pretty confident now that it is not a Roku scam, but they somehow got a URL similar that folks got to when not paying really close attention.

Checking online, I found that to actually speak to a Roku tech, [content removed]!!

Hope this helps!!!

Walker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been a roku user almost since they started and have several units. I have just upgraded to 4K and purchased a new Ultra from Roku. In the activation process on my computer, a popup occurred saying that the activation required a phone call  (sorry, I did not write down the number). Called the number and the foriegn sounding agent said that he noted my several roku units and that I should know that my usage time had expired. A $100 payment for 5 years or $179 for lifetime were the choices. Knowing Roku's policy, I refused so the agent informed that all of my roku devices would not operate without payment. 

About 30 minutes later I received and email from roku informing that my email sign-in address had been changed to xxxxxx@grr.la. This is a service that lets you send an email (to change the address) and then that sent email destroys itself. 30 minutes later, none of my devices will work and all sign-ins of course are destroyed. (I still have no service unless I form a new account) Calls to Roku rendered a person evenually that spoke minimal english and could not help. Request for her supervisor rendered statement "not available" but will call you back. Never did! Emails to supprt have gone unanswered.

Please note that this hack came from inside Roku's own  closed system. Perhaps other complaints to federal authorities are in order to encourage responsibility by roku to their customers. We'll see !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Plesae note post regarding Scam Hack on sign-in occuring withing the Roku system

0 Kudos