Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Same thing is happening with me, the third party called me without my permission and was repeatedly asking for my information, saying something about an activation fee and that I will have access to all the streaming channels and my email. When your own product tells me that I won’t be charged, could you please fix this or I will have to return the product.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

@LalaWheng wrote:

Same thing is happening with me, the third party called me without my permission and was repeatedly asking for my information, saying something about an activation fee and that I will have access to all the streaming channels and my email. When your own product tells me that I won’t be charged, could you please fix this or I will have to return the product.


Same thing: it was a scammer, not Roku. Now how did they get your contact info? I have no idea. I hope that Roku hasn't suffered a data breach, but that is worrisome that you received a cold call about it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

Ok. Same thing happened to me during setup and activation.  It did not accept the code and immediately an error message pops up on my phone stating the I needed to contact support for help.  There was a phone number given to call.  At NO time did I search Google for Roku support.  This was an automatic message that came in after the code was not accepted.   I gave the guy my login and password he got it running then said it would be 99.99 for a 5 year activation.   I told him to kick rocks and he hung up on me.  I changed my password to my Roku account immediately.  Is there anything else I should do?

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

@Mjurney wrote:

Ok. Same thing happened to me during setup and activation.  It did not accept the code and immediately an error message pops up on my phone stating the I needed to contact support for help.  There was a phone number given to call.  At NO time did I search Google for Roku support.  This was an automatic message that came in after the code was not accepted.   I gave the guy my login and password he got it running then said it would be 99.99 for a 5 year activation.   I told him to kick rocks and he hung up on me.  I changed my password to my Roku account immediately.  Is there anything else I should do?


No, you should be good. I'm curious about something. Were you using your phone to attempt the web authentication? If so, how did you enter the web URL for activation? It sounds like you were redirected to the scam site. This can be done via a compromised DNS server that your ISP is using. The fact the error message appeared on your phone makes me feel better that the Roku device itself wasn't compromised. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

Yes I just typed in the URL as I normally would when going to a website.  I didn't search the URL through Google.  


@atc98092 wrote:

@Mjurney wrote:

Ok. Same thing happened to me during setup and activation.  It did not accept the code and immediately an error message pops up on my phone stating the I needed to contact support for help.  There was a phone number given to call.  At NO time did I search Google for Roku support.  This was an automatic message that came in after the code was not accepted.   I gave the guy my login and password he got it running then said it would be 99.99 for a 5 year activation.   I told him to kick rocks and he hung up on me.  I changed my password to my Roku account immediately.  Is there anything else I should do?


No, you should be good. I'm curious about something. Were you using your phone to attempt the web authentication? If so, how did you enter the web URL for activation? It sounds like you were redirected to the scam site. This can be done via a compromised DNS server that your ISP is using. The fact the error message appeared on your phone makes me feel better that the Roku device itself wasn't compromised. 


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

So I just experienced something similar today. I just got this new Roku TV and I am completely new to roku. While setting up my Tv it asked me to go to the website and use the verification code it gave me to activate the TV. I used my phone for the website and I clicked the first link that came up from the website I searched up. Little did I know at the time that this was a scam website and it was made to look exactly like Rokus website for verification code and the thing is it was made so that the codes would never work and the site told me that my code was not working for reasons so I had to call the number. So I did that because I didn’t know at the time what was happening and I wanted to get my TV  working as quickly as possible. As I was speaking to them he was “creating me my account” and I gave him my verification code, full name, Postal code and email. He started pushing me to buy stuff and was telling me in order to make the device work I had to pay for the registration. After confronting him quite some time later about how the official website doesn’t require ANY PURCHASES of any kind he hung up the phone. I was a little on edge at first because I gave him my full name, postal code and email but I talked to a police officer I know and he says that stuff is public information anyways so no harm can be done with that info. What worries me is that he has my verification code and I don’t know if he can get into my TV that way or can he not now because I have already used that and made my account? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

Going back on my previous message. Could my Tv be compromised since I gave him my verification code? After the whole incident I created my own roku account despite what they told me and I was able to use that verification code and now my TV works. 

0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

" I used my phone for the website and I clicked the first link that came up from the website I searched up"... This is the problem we generally, people searching for the website instead of following the link provided during setup. As i previously said no where during setup does it say to search for the website, it gives you the link to type out. I doubt your TV is compromised, but some of your personal info might be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

According to a police officer I know my personal info is fine as those things are public anyways so nothing can be done with it. All I need to know now is if my TV will be fine because I gave the scammer my activation code. Even tho I already used it when I created my account. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

@Squeezedlime wrote:

Going back on my previous message. Could my Tv be compromised since I gave him my verification code? After the whole incident I created my own roku account despite what they told me and I was able to use that verification code and now my TV works. 


No, that code is only used to register the device on your account. It doesn't give them any access to the TV. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos