Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@Drum2303 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Activation Fee

Jump to solution
Just bought the Roku LT and it didn't accept the activation code. I contacted support and they got it going but then told me there was a one time activation fee of $99.99. Said this just came into effect. I have seen similar posts but for different amounts and earlier dates. He mentioned became effective end of November. Is this a scam? I didn't proceed but don't want to be without service.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

IT'S A SCAM!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

I just tried to activate a new account and was told it would cost $80.00 TO DO SO. Is this a scam???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@DPM wrote:

I just tried to activate a new account and was told it would cost $80.00 TO DO SO. Is this a scam???

Yes, it is. Make sure you go to www.roku.com to create an account. Don't do a web search for Roku support, because that will just get you scam sites. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

People just need to stop running to Google to try and activate! The on-screen instructions are pretty straight forward on how to activate a Roku. They give you an address to follow for activation, nowhere during setup does it say go to Google!

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Crhodges wrote:
Just bought the Roku LT and it didn't accept the activation code. I contacted support and they got it going but then told me there was a one time activation fee of $99.99. Said this just came into effect. I have seen similar posts but for different amounts and earlier dates. He mentioned became effective end of November. Is this a scam? I didn't proceed but don't want to be without service.

Please, please don't use a web search engine to find Roku support. The only thing that you'll find are scam sites such as this. Roku does not and never has asked for a fee to activate or renew access to a Roku. www.roku.com is the only source of official support. This forum is operated by Roku, and there are Roku employees here monitoring during weekday business hours. On Monday @RokuTannerD or @RokuDanny-R will likely reach out to you to assist. While they are not customer support, they will do their best to get you up and running. 

In the meantime, you might perform a factory reset and start the setup from scratch again. Find the hidden hole with a recessed button. While the unit is powered on, press and hold the button for 30+ seconds. Don't release it early, regardless of what the screen is doing. They try to set it up again and link it to your Roku account. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Crhodges 

Please be aware that Roku will never charge for support or device activation services. 

For more information about activation, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: activation fraud

Jump to solution

I had the same problem.  However, with me, I purchased a Hisense Roku TV for my dad last April from BestBuy.  I got the TV set up, but when I to activate it, the TV screen showed an error and a phone number to call.  After feeling like something was off, and asking several questions, the "agent" seemed to answer with all the right words, and as much as it pains me to say this, I fell for it.  I was offered a monthly fee or a one-time lifetime fee of $149.  That was supposed to cover my current and all future Roku activations.  While it was annoying, I felt I had no choice.  The thing is after I got done with the "agent," the error on the TV disappeared, and I was able to activate it.  Now, months later, due to an unrelated technical issue I've been dealing with regarding my current Roku, I logged into my Roku account last night.  I don't know what made me think of it, but I decided to look in my "purchase" history to see if that charge was there.  Of course, it wasn't.

Other activity was there (i.e., move purchases, and rentals).  So I decided to Google "caligeeks."  And sure enough, many articles came up about them.  Some are dealing with Roku, some were talking about fraud.  And that is when I found out I was snookered!  I've contacted my CC company, and they are looking into it, and I'm now in here to see if others have had this problem.  Like I mentioned, my incident was in April.  But it really disturbs me that yours was so recent.  I feel that signifies that there is an "ongoing" issue, and there must be an "insider" in Roku that is working with "Caligeeks" to perpetrate this fraud.  Otherwise, how would they be able to cause an error on the TV screen itself with the fraudulent phone number.  And it still appears to be going on.

Tags (2)
Level 7

SCREWED BLUED AND TATTOOED

Jump to solution

I connected a new tv today it wouldn't activate so called the number on screen said I had to pay 129.99 to activate ...

Was not happy had a few words with the lady said it was a new policy since 4 /19 didnt matter if I had 2 other roku's so I hung up