Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Support Scam?

Jump to solution

I suspect I was part of a ransomware scam involving the HDCP problem.  I got the error code, and went to a website where it gave me a phone number.  I spoke to someone from (from India) who told me they needed to update my roku device for $69.99.  They got my name, e-mail and phone number but that's it.  Any way to work around this issue?  I tried doing a factory reset on the device and created a new account but to no avail.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: HDCP Scam?

Jump to solution

@bmckitrick wrote:

I suspect I was part of a ransomware scam involving the HDCP problem.  I got the error code, and went to a website where it gave me a phone number.  I spoke to someone from (from India) who told me they needed to update my roku device for $69.99.  They got my name, e-mail and phone number but that's it.  Any way to work around this issue?  I tried doing a factory reset on the device and created a new account but to no avail.  

Thanks!

Absolutely a scam site. Good you didn't give your CC number, but be very cautious about phony phone calls and emails. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe you're going to be targeted. 

Roku never charges for updates or support of any kind. Depending in the age of the player they might not offer any support, but they'll never ask for payment of any kind. Also, Roku does not have a toll-free support number, so that's another giveaway they are scammers.

Now, on to your problem. HDCP errors usually start because of a bad HDMI cable or jack.

• First, turn off the TV and power off the Roku. Remove and firmly insert both ends back into their ports, then power them both up (TV first) and try again.
  • Then try plugging the existing cable into a different HDMI port on the TV, assuming you have more than one.
  • Try it on a different TV and see if it works.
  • Then try the same steps with a different HDMI cable.

If none if these steps resolve the issue, and the Roku gives the same error on different TVs, then most likely the HDMI connection in the Roku has failed. You didn't specify what model Roku you have. If it's reasonably new, it might still be under warranty. If it's too old, you're better off just replacing it rather than attempting any sort of repair. And you can buy any model other than the Ultra for less than $69.99.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution
I was scammed this same way in trying to activate a new Roku after my old unit failed due to planned obsolescence. I was told that two months ago, Roku started charging for new accounts and for activating new devices. I gave them a credit card number but froze my credit card before they had a chance to use it. Don’t know what other damage they might do to me. It would be nice if Roku had a customer service policy where you could actually contact them for matters like this.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Their customer service is a joke.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge for device activation.

For more information about how to activate or link a Roku streaming device, visit our Support page here: How do I activate or link my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just had a similar experienced and flatly refused to pay for a registration fee.  I was in the process of returning my Roku but in trying to communicate with Roku directly, I found this site.  More information must be done by Roku to stop the egregious theft and deception that is occurring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@DD2903 wrote:

I just had a similar experienced and flatly refused to pay for a registration fee.  I was in the process of returning my Roku but in trying to communicate with Roku directly, I found this site.  More information must be done by Roku to stop the egregious theft and deception that is occurring.

Unfortunately, there's little Roku can do other than try to make sure people are aware. Most of those scam sites are not located in a US territory, so US law is difficult to impossible to enforce. Spending large amounts of money to take them to court will do little to nothing since it can't be enforced on them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Does Roku charge for setting up device?

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new Roku Premiere and when I was setting it up it locked up and asked me to call 855-256-4555 to set up the player. I called and they said there were 3 programs available. A 5 year plan for 79.99, a 10 year plan for like $100, and a lifetime plan for $179. Told me about all the free movies and all. I told them no thanks and hung up. Is this for real? I will be taking this Roku back.

[post moved to appropriate board and title changed to denote issue]

Highlighted
Level 7

Fee to activate account?

Jump to solution

I was told by customer service I had to pay 69.99 to activate my Roku, it is new policy as on October 2019. After the call to customer services my other Rokus stopped working.

0 Kudos