Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hmathews2
Level 7

3 year old accidentally bought subscription

My 3 year old daughter accidentally bought a $54 subscription to ESPN+ and i found out right away and canceled it immediately. Never used the app and literally had it for less than 10 minutes. I sent in an email to customer support and was told there would be no refund. I emailed back asking for a mangers number or email or anyway to contact someone on the PHONE. Never got an email back. 

13 REPLIES 13\
Michelle3
Level 12

Re: 3 year old accidentally bought subscription

Best solution is to teach your 3 year old daughter that she can’t bring subscription to streaming apps.

~Jordan 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

You didnt mention who you contacted. It should be ESPN.

Otherwise dont use ESPN theses nothing on anyway and contact

your Credit Card people. I would.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

And to prevent the next debacle, log into https://my.roku.com/account/pin and set (or change) a PIN.  You can also choose from several options as to what actions will require the entry of the PIN, including adding  channels and making purchases.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
Iona-D
Level 13

"......Best solution is to teach your 3 year old daughter that she can’t bring subscription to streaming apps......"~Jordan 

A real cop out.  Obviously someone who never had a very young child running around your living space.  Just ask yourself would it be any different if you had your own frisky toddler playing with those same remotes?  I doubt it.  This is not the only reported instance here involving young children & unintentional remote usage:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Accounts-Billing-Orders/Accidentally-purchased-subscription/m-p/518447

Younger children are not the only ones that can have these types of accidents.  I have a 92 year old mother that can hit the same buttons and have the same result if I did not put in my "safeties."  **bleep**, even I can make mistakes.  I do operate a Roku while I am half asleep periodically.  That could trigger an unintentional subscription sign up if I am not careful (and without my built in safeties protecting me).

Real proof here in both posts on how damaging this one click subscription sign up "convenience" really is.  I have built in "check and balances" using the methods outlined below to avoid this sort of thing discussed in detail in case some of you might have missed it.   I wish people would follow my instructions on "dummy" card and other tips and solutions right here:  "How To Keep Your Hard Earned Money......"

I don't have to worry about any accidents even when the real young ones come for just a visit at my house.  Or some unauthorized use party attempts to modify something and/or pull out money from my account in any way.

You deserve to be protected too.

Hmathews2
Level 7

Oh okay thanks 🤣

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

@Iona-D wrote:

"......Best solution is to teach your 3 year old daughter that she can’t bring subscription to streaming apps......"~Jordan 

A real cop out.  Obviously someone who never had a very young child running around your living space.  Just ask yourself would it be any different if you had your own frisky toddler playing with those same remotes?  I doubt it.  This is not the only reported instance here involving young children & unintentional remote usage:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Accounts-Billing-Orders/Accidentally-purchased-subscription/m-p/518447

Real proof here in both posts on how damaging this one click subscription sign up "convenience" really is.  I have built in "check and balances" using the methods outlined below to avoid this sort of thing discussed in detail in case some of you might have missed it.   I wish people would follow my instructions on "dummy" card and other tips and solutions right here:  "How To Keep Your Hard Earned Money......"

I don't have to worry about any accidents even when the real young ones come for just a visit at my house.  Or some unauthorized use party attempts to modify something and/or pull out money from my account in any way.

You deserve to be protected too.

Wait, are you trying to say that I’m a very young child? Or are you just saying that I’ve never had a young child before?

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

Okay I am very sorry for those 2 messages I posted. Please forgive me. Thanks.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Not really.  I was just saying I don't leave remotes or the smartphones where anyone from 9 months to 90 years old can random.y push button and get me I to trouble.  My real credit/debit cards are not casually left lying around-online or offline.  I treat them like the loaded guns they actually are.

The person who's name is imprinted on the card is responsible for all it's uses, expected or unintentional.  Not ypu-me.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

@Iona-D wrote:

Not really.  I was just saying I don't leave remotes or the smartphones where anyone from 9 months to 90 years old can random.y push button and get me I to trouble.  My real credit/debit cards are not casually left lying around-online or offline.  I treat them like the loaded guns they actually are.

The person who's name is imprinted on the card is responsible for all it's uses, expected or unintentional.  Not ypu-me.

Okay. My apologies.

~Jordan

0 Kudos