Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AS4

SCAMS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

I am so angry!!!!! I set up a free trial of ESPN to get football and was told no that my system was not set up for this or it wouldn't work. I cancelled immediately and I am still seeing $8 out of my account for months now. YOU SUCK RUKO, WHAT A SCAM!!! I fought it with my bank and the charges were reversed. If I see it on my account again I am taking Ruko to court for all the back $8 charges you put through!! Why is there not any trustworthy companies out there anymore? Everything is a SCAM!!!! including RuKO!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: SCAMS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

First off, Roku does not develop the ESPN app; The Walt Disney Company and Hearst Communications do, so you’re not gonna blame Roku.  Second off, you can’t take a major company to court because you’re not a court employee at all.  And third off, Roku has been trustworthy since the late 2000s; they are America’s #1 TV streaming platform.  So, the overall issues you have, you’re gonna have to contact either ESPN support, Hearst or Disney.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
Hector-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @AS4, we're on it! We can see how not knowing why you are receiving that charge could be frustrating. To take a closer look into this and provide answers, we'll have to pull up your account. For this, we'll be reaching out to you through direct message to keep your information private. Please check your inbox for our message so we can help out with the $8 charge you have been receiving. If you have any issues finding our message, let us know. 

Vakko
Roku Guru

@AS4 ESPN and ESPN+ are entirely different services. Neither of them have anything to do with Roku. To watch the NFL on ESPN you need a TV provider. Your failure to understand any of this is the issue here Not Roku. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@AS4 wrote:

I am so angry!!!!! I set up a free trial of ESPN to get football and was told no that my system was not set up for this or it wouldn't work. I cancelled immediately and I am still seeing $8 out of my account for months now. YOU SUCK RUKO, WHAT A SCAM!!! I fought it with my bank and the charges were reversed. If I see it on my account again I am taking Ruko to court for all the back $8 charges you put through!! Why is there not any trustworthy companies out there anymore? Everything is a SCAM!!!! including RuKO!

You are probably right about a scam, but you may be very wrong about the identity of the scammer.

Go to https://my.roku.com and log in. Then, go to the Manage your subscriptions page. Do you see a billing item there?

If you do, cancel if it's not already canceled, and submit a billing inquiry at the Contact page. Work with whoever from Roku reaches out. And you don't need to read any further, because if this is what's happening, your working with them will lead to a proper resolution. However ...

If you do not see an item there, then Roku isn't the one billing you.

Now, before you object to that last item, allow someone who has over two decades experience in the payments industry to explain some behind the scenes processes.

When an item is submitted against an account, the submitter includes a description that is included on the statement. It should say who made the charge and a contact number. However, "should" does not always mean "does." So let's consider what a scammer will do.

They're thieves, right? A scammer will try to take your money. That's a thief. Well, thieves will also lie. I'm sure you realize that someone who steals will also lie, so that's not a big revelation to you. But that's what's going on.

Your payment card has been compromised, and some thief got it from one of the many sources thieves get compromised payment card information. Those scammers (thieves) will submit charges, and put false information in the submission. You (and many others) end up with items on your statement that say (in this instance) Roku, or (in other instances for other people) Hulu, Disney, Warner, HBO, Discovery, or any of several other company names.

The person who is being scammed then spends a lot of time and effort complaining against Roku (or Hulu, Disney, Warner, etc) and more time passes, allowing the scammer to keep scamming.

You should print out that Subscription page I mentioned earlier, as documentation that Roku did not charge you. You should file a fraud report with your bank. And, since your card is compromised, you'll need to get your card replaced.

One other thing. And if you haven't liked what I've said to this point, you really are not going to like this. You said this has happened before. While not 100% certain, that usually means the victim makes it easy for the scammer by using inadequate security procedures with online accounts. The most common security issue is re-using passwords. Many repeat victims use a single password for multiple accounts. That means when any one of those accounts is compromised, the scammer will take the credentials and try it on many other business online accounts.

Now, there are other ways that things like this can happen, including to people who practice very safe online security behavior. But this is by far the most common reason. An inventory of your security practices for online business may be needed.

Do the steps, someone from Roku will reach out, but be aware that if there is nothing on your Subscriptions page, then Roku is being falsely identified by the scammer as the responsible party, and falsely accused by you of scamming you. As common victims (you for money, them for reputation) you should work together to get it resolved.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

@AS4 wrote:

and was told no that my system was not set up for this or it wouldn't work.

This is all vague but I'm going to guess that something like this happened: 

OP starts a trial of ESPN+ (that automatically renews into a full sub as free trials normally do.)

OP wants to watch "football" (another vagueness.) But due to the complexity of ESPN, this particular show needs a TV provider.  OP calls "someone" about this, learns the TV provider is needed and tells "someone" he wants to cancel.

But nothing happens because whoever he is talking to is not where he subscribed.  (For example, if he set up a trial with Roku pay, but was talking to ESPN support.)

Just a guess, of course, since the post doesn't really go into details.

Vakko
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  He does mean he got scammed and someone stole or hacked his credit card. He is claiming it's a scam cause he cannot watch football and his system was not set up for it. This has nothing to do with billing.

0 Kudos