Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaD1977

Re: Roku's no refund policy for accidental purchases

Jump to solution

I have a quick question. We did a trial period for hbo. There just wasn’t anything on there so I immediately canceled on the roku. Guess what, they  charged us! So how do I get my money back from that? And if this is how it’s going to be I will get rid of EVERY Roku that we own and go with something else. I don’t appreciate a service that can’t or won’t take care of their customers.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

All you'll get here is the usual "contact support":  https://support.roku.com/contactus

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MSkeen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I feel your pain. Our situations are slightly different in that my "purchase" involved a toddler and a remote control, and I contacted both ESPN and Roku within an hour of it taking place, and yours is a trial period turned permanent against your will.

But, I think the same approach should apply.  I was very polite in my email (which is, incredibly the only method available to communicate with Roku), and I simply expressed my overall pleasure with their service, but said their no-refund policy was a deal breaker for me, and I would be exploring my options with other online streaming services.

To their credit, they refunded the $53 charge.  However, it should not be so difficult to conduct business with any company, especially one which provides digital entertainment, as opposed to tangible goods of  some sort.  It isn't as if you're trying to return a pair of shoes that you've obviously worn and can't be returned to the shelf.  It's all literally "virtual" and costs Roku more in customer goodwill than it would to simply do what they did in my situation.  Grant a "one-time" refund, along with advice on how to avoid future issues.  In other words, I should have password protected my remote.  No argument there.

Hopefully, using your leverage of switching away entirely from Roku's services, you'll get some results.  If not, do what I said I would do...switch to a different service and tell anyone and everyone who will listen exactly why you left Roku.  Good luck!  Michael 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@LisaD1977 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that if you previously had a free trial through the same Roku account (on any Roku device linked to your account), you will not be eligible for another free trial with that specific service. We highly recommend reviewing the terms for any trial, prior to signing up. 

If you need further assistance with account or billing related issues, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KH2020

Jump to solution

I have the same problem but slightly different. I have been trying Roku the last few months instead of my TV provider. I saw an advertisement for 2 free months if signing up with Crave. I was trying out the free movies and TV programs and decided last night to try the 2 free months of Crave. 

I signed up and was immediately charged for the first month. When talking to Crave support, they say they can't do anything to reverse the charge when I didnt get what was advertised. I was told to contact Roku, but like the prior message, there is not phone number, only scripted Q&A on their website which is annoying.

I am putting up this message to hopefully help other innocent customers doing the same thing. IF YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM ROKU, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I am now deleting Roku and going back to my TV provider. I will also be looking into this as false advertising and Roku should be ashamed to be taking advantage of folks due to their lack of transparency and that Roku doesn't care about people trying new technology during COVID. They are misleading and I STRONGLY ADVISE folks stay away from Roku or at least be aware of these fraudulent actions.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@KH2020 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that if you previously had a free trial through the same Roku account (on any Roku device linked to your account), you will not be eligible for another free trial with that specific service. We highly recommend reviewing the terms for any trial, prior to signing up. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JW75
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My wife is dying of stage 4 cancer in her bed, I am taking care of her and my 5 year old through the situation isolation craziness, and my 5 year old figured out he could buy tokens of some sort for a gambling game on Roku called "Crazino's" and spent almost $300 before I could stop him. Roku's response was "Great" and they are an entertainment company and therefore not required to give a refund. Disgusting.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JW75,

We appreciate your post.

We're sorry to hear about your wife. Our support team responded via email recently. Please check your email from our support team, they will be assisting you from there. 

We would highly recommend creating a Roku PIN for your account to avoid any further unwanted purchases on your Roku account in the future. For more information about using a Roku PIN, visit our Support page here: How to create or update the PIN for your Roku account

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
JW75
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Actually you all did not resolve it, you only refunded a fraction of the funds. Basically you contracted with a 5 year old for him to buy gambling funds for your gambling game. There ought to be a clear warning on these devices that warn parents about the offers of gambling to their kids and warn them ahead of time to block it. Or automatically block it until an adult unblocks it. I plan on contacting my congressman about this horrible concept as well as my bank. 5 year olds can not contract for gambling tokens in my state.

0 Kudos
ischooley

Jump to solution

I'd like to amplify this post. I am waiting for a response after chatting with a Roku rep. for a very similar situation. My 1 year old picked up the remote and mashed a bunch of buttons and (also I think because of the special ESPN button on the bottom of the remote) purchased ESPN with the TV off! I cancelled when i got an email for Roku (at least that part works). But of course it was too late. If Roku wants honor their customers they need to make the PIN required and if one wants to wave it they need to opt out of PIN. It is that easy. IMHO they could also remove those buttons. I never use them. They also should be more responsive to this type of mistake. This is just bad business. I am NOT happy with this company.

0 Kudos