Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMac2

Is there a Price Menu before adding a channel?

Jump to solution

I'm new to Roku. Like the service, but have not yet enjoyed the lack of transparency on displaying channel pricing. Does anyone know how to find out the price of a channel before simply clicking the Roku "Add Channel" button and then being charged whatever random amount the price du jour happens to be? Seems like a subscriber/buyer should know the price before the actual purchasing transaction. Appreciate any input or suggestions from the group.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MMac2

Re: Is there a Price Menu before adding a channel?

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, DBDukes! That resolved it. I do have my PIN setting prescribed to "Always..." for purchases and add items. Turns out, it was free addition, no charge to add Outside.  Gosh, if only the Roku chat rep with whom I spent 40 minutes online would have just coached me through what you accomplished so quickly. Guess that would be a suggestion I should make to Roku.

Again, thank you for your support to this newcomer Roku-rookie (kind of a "Rokee"? haha!). I'm all set now.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MMac2 

It tells the price before an app is added (if it's a purchase app) or a subscription (if the subscription is through Roku Pay).

No price means ... no price.

Where are you running into what you're describing? Give an actual example.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MMac2

Jump to solution

Thanks DBDukes. Specifically, I'm trying to add the "Outside" channel (that's the exact name listed on Roku Channel Store... outdoor sports and adventure). It gives me the button to "Add Channel" and the one time I clicked that, it immediately asked for my purchase PIN code. No price listed, no subscription options. I personally choose not to provide my PIN authorization code and then run the risk of being assessed an unknown price. Perhaps this is my newness to Roku, but I've been around the block enough to expect to know a price before I pay for something. And I wouldn't put the Roku service in the elite membership category philosophy of "if you have to ask the price, it's not for you..." haha! Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MMac2 

Depending on your account settings, which you control, the PIN can be required for purchases only, or both purchases and apps. What you're describing indicates it's set for both purchases and adding apps.

If it's set to "Always require a PIN to make purchases and add items from the Channel Store." then it's asking because you're adding an app, not because of any cost involved. Go add another app (Pluto TV, Plex, something free) to see it there as well.

If it's set to "Always require a PIN to make purchases." then it shouldn't be doing what you're describing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MMac2

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, DBDukes! That resolved it. I do have my PIN setting prescribed to "Always..." for purchases and add items. Turns out, it was free addition, no charge to add Outside.  Gosh, if only the Roku chat rep with whom I spent 40 minutes online would have just coached me through what you accomplished so quickly. Guess that would be a suggestion I should make to Roku.

Again, thank you for your support to this newcomer Roku-rookie (kind of a "Rokee"? haha!). I'm all set now.

Best wishes!

0 Kudos